Thursday, October 20, 2011

$225 at Armani vs. $1 at elf.com

            I have just set aside a magazine which featured an article on how to survive the winter months if you have dry skin.  The author recommended multiple moisturizers, most in the twenty to sixty dollar range.  They priced one little black container, however, at $225!  I gaped—until I read the label: Giorgio Armani.  Oh.  “Well,” I thought, “I could just go down to Wal-Mart and get some for five bucks.  Or better yet, buy some for only one dollar at www.eyeslipsface.com.”  Of course, it wouldn’t be Armani, but who would know?  Who is going to see you walking down the street and go, “My, that girl is wearing Armani moisturizer!”?  How much of that $225 is paying for high-quality moisturizer and how much is paying for the label?
            I do not have anything against designers.  I own a Guess bag and a Coach coin purse; I almost bought some DKNY jeans when I was in London.  I chose not to buy the jeans because I knew I could get jeans I liked just as well as PacSun or, better yet, Plato’s Closet.  I would only be paying for the name.  How much is a name worth?  I bought my bag at Ross for less than half the original price; I have used it for years and never regretted the purchase.  The coin purse was a birthday present and I find it a very convenient way to store my $1 lip glosses in my purse.
            Two of my favorite scarves cost $5 each at Wal-Mart.  Often, my friends compliment me on them, asking if I got them at Wet Seal (one of my favorite stores, by the way), or other, more expensive stores.  I smile and tell them it came from Wal-Mart; their surprised expressions make me laugh inside.  Who shops at Wal-Mart, really?  Those of us not too arrogant to take advantage of the great deals.
            Of my everyday makeup, two products cost me more than $3: my CoverGirl eye shadow (the shade I haven’t found anywhere else) and my CoverGirl concealer (it’s a little hard to buy this online).  I ditched the ever-faithful Maybelline mascara for the elf Earth and Water Mascara Duo—considerably cheaper and much better quality!  In fact, I buy almost all my makeup at www.eyeslipsface.com, where the most expensive products (besides sets) are still under $5.  I even like to group order with my girlfriends so we all save on shipping.
            Lucky magazine advertizes outfits where everything is under $100.  That may be revolutionary for women who commonly shop at designer stores, but I look for under $10.  My wardrobe is much more complete when I buy four or five store-brand items for the price of one designer item.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment