Monday, September 24, 2012

A New Shade of Blue


There is a blue unlike the ocean
Unlike the sky
Unlike the thread in my mother’s box
Unlike the pencil between my fingers
It is the depths of a mile-long well
Where sunlight doesn’t reach
Except in streaks of lighter blue
That highlight the deeper hue
It is a story of love and anguish
Of excitement and despair
It is a word with no name
It is a message that cannot be said
This blue is a sky realer than real
A sea deeper than deep
It is a world I’d love to explore
It is incomprehensible, this blue
It is the colour of your eyes

Interesting note: I don't usually revise my poems once I've finished them, but I did go back and change a couple lines in this one just because I was having such a hard time describing this particular shade of blue.  I would read it and go, "No, that's not quite right.  This phrase would be more accurate," and change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment