Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Disadvantageous Marriage

            “My dear sir!  You must see how disadvantageous such a marriage would be!  She is a working girl.”
            “She is a hard-working girl, with true strength of the character.”
            “Her uncle is in trade.  And who knows who her father was?  Probably she is illegitimate.”
            “That’s ridiculous.  Her mother is too respectable for that.  She may not be the daughter of a gentleman, but she is respectable.”
            “Your son is a gentleman.  Sir, you are a gentleman.  How can you allow this?”
            “Mr. Riggs, I am a gentleman and I love my son.  My son loves her.  She is a fine girl, and—"
            “A fine girl?  A fine girl?  She is so unrefined.”
            “She is honest, and gentle, and polite.  My son loves her and I will not deny him his happiness because of questionable birth.”
            His opponent heaved a sigh.
            “Do as you will.  But my dear sir, do not say I didn’t warn you.”
            “Good-bye, Mr. Riggs.”
            “Good-bye, sir.”

No comments:

Post a Comment